Wednesday, February 27, 2013

GHOSTLY CLUES...Can you handle the case?


I am thrilled to present...
  GhostlyClues
 For a FREE copy of GHOSTLY CLUES to review, just answer the question at the end of this post...
BLURB.
The sweet scent of lilacs permeates the air around Grandma’s gravesite. Only Sarah Kay can smell Grandma’s favorite flower, and they’re not even in bloom. 
Sarah Kay and her best friend, Mary Jane, believe the lilacs are a sign from Grandma’s ghost. The girls follow one ghostly clue after another, uncovering a secret that Mom never wanted Sarah Kay to know.
Grandma makes sure Sarah Kay gets the message even from the grave. As the evidence piles up, Mom still refuses to accept the possibility Sarah Kay’s father is alive.
Sarah Kay finds Dad’s parents. A set of grandparents she didn’t realize existed. They make it clear her father is alive but days and miles separate the father and daughter reunion because Dad is a truck driver on a long haul. 
Sarah Kay waits. The news reports a fatal car accident involving a semi and Sarah Kay fears the worse. She runs away which leads to Dad and the truth, Mom wanted Dad to remain dead.
Dad had faked his death so why not just stay dead.  The ghostly clues of Grandma wouldn’t allow Dad to remain dead to Sarah Kay.
*******

Great Blurb Kay...
Your novel has recently been released through Museitup Publishing. Can you tell us a little about what inspired you to write “Ghostly Clues”. The title suggests a scary story… should we be afraid?

Well the idea for this story has been haunting me for years. It started way back when I was about Sarah Kay’s age and my grandmother passed away. 

One night, shortly after my grandma passed away, I saw a ghost hand creep up on my bed and take a doll. The next morning, I found the doll way under my bed. 

I believe it was my grandma’s way of telling me I was too old to sleep with dolls. Now I’m not saying my grandma was a ghost like Sarah Kay’s grandma, but it gave me the idea for Ghostly Clues.

 Through the years, I always wanted to add that memory to a story. So I did. The title does suggest a scary story. If you are afraid of ghosts, there might be some scary parts in the story. But over all it is not too scary.
Do your characters follow your plot path or do they take on a life of their own? Do you keep them in check?

When I start a story, I don’t plot it out first. I start with an idea and go with it letting my characters take on a life of their own. They tell me their story and I write it down. Ghostly Clues went through a lot of revisions before I got it right. 

Through those revisions the story changed but never strayed to far from the original idea. Usually my characters keep me in check, demanding me to tell the story the way they want it told.

Writing the story is only half the exercise though, isn’t it. Becoming published is not always easy. Even with self publishing as an option. What do you think is the most important thing a writer needs to face, along the road to publication?

Never give up. It doesn’t matter what your dream is, never give up on it. If you believe in your writing, someday it will find home and get in the hands of readers who will enjoy reading your characters’ stories.

What was the hardest hurdle for you in getting your novel published?

Finding the right publisher for my story, I think is the hardest hurdle on the road to publication. When you write a story, you think it is the best and sometimes it is hard to get those rejection letters/emails. 

You don’t understand how the publisher could reject your baby, a story you have worked so hard on. Then there is the feeling of wanting to give up because you don’t believe you’ll ever get published. 

Then one day it happens. Then you are faced with marketing your book, getting your book into the hands of your readers.

Have you always been a writer?

Yes. I haven’t always been a published writer, but I have always enjoyed writing. Writing has been my passion since I was about Sarah Kay’s age.

book can be found on Amazon, goodreads, bookstrand, and smashwords.
 Now, we are looking forward to an 
excerpt from Ghostly Clues
The house was blanketed in a quiet slumber. I snuggled under the sleeping bag with Allison, trying not to think about ghosts, as I drifted to sleep.
Random pictures floated in my mind like ghostly images.
I tiptoed among tombstones and my heart ached as if I had lost something or someone. He had to be here, somewhere. The gravestones rose like stone walls. No names engraved on them. No dates. No R.I.P. Nothing. Just smooth, flat stones. Ghosts—grayish, smoky forms with black eyes—floated over the tombstones.  I shivered, suddenly cold, freezing. My breath visible like a little ghost. I didn’t want to look at the ghost anymore so I looked down at my feet. A tombstone with Grandma’s name appeared out of nowhere. The earth moved. The dirt around the headstone broke away and gnarled fingers clawed their way into the air, searching, grasping. Shriveled fingers clutched my leg.  
Something grabbed at my leg—the hand, I screamed and frantically wiggled out of my sleeping bag, bumping MJ as I tried to get away from the hand I thought I felt grab at my leg.

 Bio
 I’m Kay LaLone author of Ghostly Clues. I live in Michigan with my husband and fourteen year old son (two older sons live near by) and two dogs and a cat. My best time to write is in the morning after I had at least one cup of coffee. My favorite things to write about are ghosts and supernatural creatures. I’m an avid reader and do reviews on the books I read.


For a FREE copy of Ghostly Clues, to review, just answer this simple question...
Who is the ghost who contacts Sarah Kay from the grave?
Email your answer to the author.

1 comment:

Wendy said...

An enjoyable interview. I think it was wonderful your grandmother contacted you and gave you a message about being to old to sleep with your doll. I would love it if my g'parents contacted me. You were very wise to use this concept in a story. Sounds like a good one. Congratulations on being published by MuseItUp.